Skip to main content

Book Review: The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa

Book Review: The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa

Quote: Until then, my life had been limited to the modest territory of Satoru's apartment and a small area around it. A decent-sized territory for a cat, really, but pretty modest compared to vastness of this world.

A cat could never see all the sights the world has to offer in one lifetime. There's just so much out there.
___

A lone Satoru finds a stray male cat who loves basking on his silver van. An accident makes the cat seek his help. And since then cat is named Nana, a name he is not enthusiastic about and they live together happily for five years. Until one day Satoru sets off on a journey with him to re-home Nana, because of unforeseeable reason.

They drive through towns and Nana witnesses things for first time; sea, horses, deers, farmland, mount Fuji, graveyards.

The book is primarily told from Nana's perspective and shifts to third person narrative when required. Nana is sarcastic, witty and loyal. The duo unknowingly solve issues of people they visit, childhood friend Kouske, junior high friend Yoshimine, and high school friends Chikako and Yugi, while Noriko learns to reconnect with emotions.

Nana doesn't want to leave Satoru; ends up manipulating other pets like the Chartan the kitty, and Torumaru the dog. Satoru like every cat fanatic is too concerned to leave his Nana in hands of anyone.

Some reviews found the break of narrative distracting, I enjoyed it. I loved the shift, one said narrative's style is closer to manga. I loved the language, especially Nana saying: Bye the by or asking rhetorical questions.

Yes this book could be a lovely Makoto Shinkai animated movie. Cats are part of Japanese literature, and this Nana is part of story of love and healing. The ending was predictable not that the author intended to hide it. More like Satoru and Nana keep avoiding the truth. I wept and wept in the end.

Saddest part was when while inside ship other pets tease Nana as 'pampered' and the chinchilla scolds everyone: its the owner who is lonely. Yes we seek pets because we are lonely and they love us back unconditionally. It is not a plotless tale, it is tale of respecting friendship and saying goodbye.

The sixtieth book and most probably last of book of the year was one that I was craving for long time. I have been feeling the need to weep out and let some pent up emotions go. I read the book in train, I was tearing up inside and my co-passenger gave me the eye. And cry I did today in morning.

It reminded me of many cats I had, none of them gave me the closure to mourn them. One day they just vanished. It pains, there is a difference between loss of a cat and loss of dog. The death of a dog haunts you for days, a chunk of your life is gone. But cats they are cruel, they leave holes in your life, some holes pop up years later and they leave you sad.

Reading the book from Nana's perspective was interesting and cathartic experience. Maybe my cats had their own stupid reason to vanish, maybe they loved me too much. I love it that Nana stayed till the end and exhibits a fierce loyality in death. He is almost Hachiko level dedicated. This book is something I will keep going back to , like I go back to the book 'I am a Cat', it was heartbreaking book.

Some of the quotes are going to vibrate in my brain for days. I think I too should mourn my lost cats. This book is must for those who have ever held an animal and cared for it like it was their baby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momas'Day

As the month of May creepily entered my calendar,, I realized something was special... Well the Mothers Day entered my to-do-list...  I thought I was the only dearest daughter in the world who cared for her mother... But again my illusion was broken, by good major mates... Both of my major mates were also anxious about this one day...  First we got confused when the actual day was, some one said 1st may, other  8th may... But after all whats my dear Google for?? We found the date It was 13th May,, the second Sunday of may... So sitting in our Philosophy Exam hall, we three started discussing what to gift our dearest mothers,,, but to our surprise it was not only we three but many others who wanted to gift their mom,,. Hence the discussion broke out, one mate said she had already gifted her mother a Saree worth three thousand bucks... Now we all got dumbstruck by the selfless act and realized how shameless we were only gifting our mom's worth hundred or two hundred  bucks

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam Quote: If this were a relationship between a male and a female, wouldn't it be safe to assume that we were 100% attracted to each other? But because I'm a male and just an underclassman, Eungi Hyung would never consider anything like that, would he? Fools is a Korean Webtoon written by Yeongha and adorably illustrated by Bagdam. A weepy and heartbroken teen Choi Jeongwoo meets Kwon Enugi one night, where the latter ends up comforting and advising the teen.  A few years later, Jeongwoo is a freshman in the university where Enugi has returned for his final year after completing his military service. Enugi comes off as a standoffish young man while Jeongwoo the pretty boy is always smiling and super friendly.  After hearing Jeongwoo cry on his phone to his boyfriend during the welcoming party, Enugi can't stop but worry about him from then on. By the twist of fate they end up having breakfast tog

Make a wish lady......

dedicated to a lady, who is Born today (legally)  to  Dictate....me .... or as I call her ( Impulsive Young Lady) Today is 31st December  my elder sister's birthday,  A lady who never knows anyone above and superior to her.  She can go to any extent to protect me, example technically do poaching in my Facebook, reading  my messages, reading my personal diary and scolding me. Who is against every new best friend I have.. She can never be my friend, as she is 7years elder than me..... The glass of between the ruled and ruler is never to break...  A lady who knows everything hence putting the word Great before her name. She presents the breed born in the late 80's... Unapologetic, Dominating, Free-willed. But this blog of mine came to existence only for her, because my dumb head would fail to create even a email id alone..... Well my sister is unique creature, rather a strange creation of  God, born on a strange day, hence her birth meant a cycle. A cycle