Skip to main content

Book Review: Tithe a Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black.

Book Review: Tithe a Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black.


Quote: Her hands felt very cold as she remembered the diner. What would it be like to be a puppet? What would it be like to watch your own hands disobey you?



A book title I was pronouncing wrong for almost a decade now! I found Holly Black before I found Neil Gaiman, at the age of 15. Since then I have been trying to read stories she had written.
Tithe is the story of a sixteen-year-old, Kaye, a blonde American-Japanese girl. Who grew up in clubs and pubs cleaning after her unsuccessful rock singer mom.
Holly Black never sighs away from showing the dark, not so innocent and messed up world of teens. Kaye has dropped out of school, she smokes, she makes out, she works to keep her two unit family functional, and once she had friends from the faerie realm.
The story takes a shift when her mom's boyfriend turns homicidal and they move back to her grandmother's. Kaye's life turns weird soon, she saves a tall, handsome, brooding infamous Knight called Roiben, who is tied to the Unseelie Court! And learns she is a scapegoat for faerie realm, the Tithe.
The narrative looks scattered at first as the third person voice often enters the first person observation. The detailing and description are sharp and evoke fear. The faerie realm is beautiful and dangerous. No one can be trusted and there are too many betrayals, predictable but well drawn and one particular death hurts.
Crony's friendship with Kaye seemed sudden, but when you're sixteen that's how you make friends. Crony's being a gay boy didn't feel like tokenism. I loved when he geeks about yaoi manga and shows more knowledge than Kaye about faerie he acquired just be reading. But the amount of abuse, intoxication and never spelt rape that he suffers at the hand of faerie folks later gives voice to countless queer teens who have been taken advantage of by a cruel world.
Sexual undertones fuel the story, and the kiss between a charmed Kaye and Roiben serves as a good lesson on consent. I also loved the revenge Kaye takes on Kenny.
At the end of the book, no one comes out unscathed or normal. Which makes it super satisfying read, and a book to aware teens of the world of what awaits them.
P.S- It's a very smart rendition of the Tam Lin tale

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momas'Day

As the month of May creepily entered my calendar,, I realized something was special... Well the Mothers Day entered my to-do-list...  I thought I was the only dearest daughter in the world who cared for her mother... But again my illusion was broken, by good major mates... Both of my major mates were also anxious about this one day...  First we got confused when the actual day was, some one said 1st may, other  8th may... But after all whats my dear Google for?? We found the date It was 13th May,, the second Sunday of may... So sitting in our Philosophy Exam hall, we three started discussing what to gift our dearest mothers,,, but to our surprise it was not only we three but many others who wanted to gift their mom,,. Hence the discussion broke out, one mate said she had already gifted her mother a Saree worth three thousand bucks... Now we all got dumbstruck by the selfless act and realized how shameless we were only gifting our mom's worth hundred or two hundred  bucks

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam Quote: If this were a relationship between a male and a female, wouldn't it be safe to assume that we were 100% attracted to each other? But because I'm a male and just an underclassman, Eungi Hyung would never consider anything like that, would he? Fools is a Korean Webtoon written by Yeongha and adorably illustrated by Bagdam. A weepy and heartbroken teen Choi Jeongwoo meets Kwon Enugi one night, where the latter ends up comforting and advising the teen.  A few years later, Jeongwoo is a freshman in the university where Enugi has returned for his final year after completing his military service. Enugi comes off as a standoffish young man while Jeongwoo the pretty boy is always smiling and super friendly.  After hearing Jeongwoo cry on his phone to his boyfriend during the welcoming party, Enugi can't stop but worry about him from then on. By the twist of fate they end up having breakfast tog

Make a wish lady......

dedicated to a lady, who is Born today (legally)  to  Dictate....me .... or as I call her ( Impulsive Young Lady) Today is 31st December  my elder sister's birthday,  A lady who never knows anyone above and superior to her.  She can go to any extent to protect me, example technically do poaching in my Facebook, reading  my messages, reading my personal diary and scolding me. Who is against every new best friend I have.. She can never be my friend, as she is 7years elder than me..... The glass of between the ruled and ruler is never to break...  A lady who knows everything hence putting the word Great before her name. She presents the breed born in the late 80's... Unapologetic, Dominating, Free-willed. But this blog of mine came to existence only for her, because my dumb head would fail to create even a email id alone..... Well my sister is unique creature, rather a strange creation of  God, born on a strange day, hence her birth meant a cycle. A cycle