Skip to main content

Graphic Novel Review: Persephone by Loïc Locatelli Kournwsky


Graphic Novel Review: Persephone by Loïc Locatelli Kournwsky




Quote: Oh great. Would little miss Botany care to fill is in, on what 'amazing plant' we are helping her hunt today?
The answer to that my pet! Pop a seed and next thing you know, you're laughing so hard that you can't stop.






Throw me the words 'Persephone and Hades', I will gobble up any piece of writing. So while looking for Persephone and Hades' art I found this graphic novel on Google books and I fell in love with it.

This book is a very loose retelling of the Persephone myth, it is devoid of the romance element but definitely based on the snatching of Persephone to the underworld. Set in fantasy land, divided between the prosperous upperland Eleusis and the barren sun-bereft underworld Hades.

A brief history of both the lands at the beginning sets the story in motion. Demeter is the strongest magician of Eleusis, who help end the war with Hades.

The art is so dense, mangaesque, beautifully coloured and the lettering is bewitching! Each panel and pages so nicely put. The art is busy and always keeps the story in motion. It had the softness in colour balance that we find in Makoto Shinaki cinema and the wild child like the energy in the Miyazaki Stories.

The story is fast and well developed, it is also predictable at the end. But it's a story about a mother and a daughter. A mother who would go to any lengths to save the child she found in the middle of the war. Persephone is like ordinary, she suffers because she believes she is not destined for greatness like her mother. Yet she tries to do the right thing in her best way by studying the plants and magic in Hades.

The consequences of great ambition are always paid by the population. The population of Hades who can't grow any crops, and they have been cut from rest of the world after losing the war and deprived of trade rights, though they have no reason to like Persephone an upperworlder, they do their best when Persephone tries to create potions and studies the damn fruit that turns people blue who consume it.

The book beautifully explains why the most depraved of the social rebel and join the war, as fox warrior puts it: the poor have nothing to lose when they fight 'the Haves'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momas'Day

As the month of May creepily entered my calendar,, I realized something was special... Well the Mothers Day entered my to-do-list...  I thought I was the only dearest daughter in the world who cared for her mother... But again my illusion was broken, by good major mates... Both of my major mates were also anxious about this one day...  First we got confused when the actual day was, some one said 1st may, other  8th may... But after all whats my dear Google for?? We found the date It was 13th May,, the second Sunday of may... So sitting in our Philosophy Exam hall, we three started discussing what to gift our dearest mothers,,, but to our surprise it was not only we three but many others who wanted to gift their mom,,. Hence the discussion broke out, one mate said she had already gifted her mother a Saree worth three thousand bucks... Now we all got dumbstruck by the selfless act and realized how shameless we were only gifting our mom's worth hundred or two hundred  bucks

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam Quote: If this were a relationship between a male and a female, wouldn't it be safe to assume that we were 100% attracted to each other? But because I'm a male and just an underclassman, Eungi Hyung would never consider anything like that, would he? Fools is a Korean Webtoon written by Yeongha and adorably illustrated by Bagdam. A weepy and heartbroken teen Choi Jeongwoo meets Kwon Enugi one night, where the latter ends up comforting and advising the teen.  A few years later, Jeongwoo is a freshman in the university where Enugi has returned for his final year after completing his military service. Enugi comes off as a standoffish young man while Jeongwoo the pretty boy is always smiling and super friendly.  After hearing Jeongwoo cry on his phone to his boyfriend during the welcoming party, Enugi can't stop but worry about him from then on. By the twist of fate they end up having breakfast tog

Make a wish lady......

dedicated to a lady, who is Born today (legally)  to  Dictate....me .... or as I call her ( Impulsive Young Lady) Today is 31st December  my elder sister's birthday,  A lady who never knows anyone above and superior to her.  She can go to any extent to protect me, example technically do poaching in my Facebook, reading  my messages, reading my personal diary and scolding me. Who is against every new best friend I have.. She can never be my friend, as she is 7years elder than me..... The glass of between the ruled and ruler is never to break...  A lady who knows everything hence putting the word Great before her name. She presents the breed born in the late 80's... Unapologetic, Dominating, Free-willed. But this blog of mine came to existence only for her, because my dumb head would fail to create even a email id alone..... Well my sister is unique creature, rather a strange creation of  God, born on a strange day, hence her birth meant a cycle. A cycle