Skip to main content

Book Review: The Adivasi Will Not Dance by Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar


Book Review: The Adivasi Will Not Dance by Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar



Quote: A stork-chick fell on to the centered part of our backyard, writhed and wriggled in agony for few seconds, and died. 
Jhi hollered in anger, 'Baahu! Where are you? See, your favourite mango tree had taken another life. It needs a sacrifice every day!'





Short stories, my favourite genre of fiction, The Adivasi Will Not Dance has been on my reading list for two-years. The anthology did not disappoint at all. I have a hard time with Indian writers of short stories because of their grand attempts at open endings, a terrible mistake. Each ending here was interesting and didn't leave me irritated.

Stories in the book are both known and unknown, we know of the lovers like Gita and Dillip, bickering maa and pishi in the house or the rich spoiled kid and his good-cousin of humble parents.

Something sticks out for good in these stories: the politics of environmental-identity is subtle but stings. I enjoyed reading Eating with the Enemy, most. Sulochana's actions were so funny but bloody tragic at the same time! Basho-ji, felt weak in development but it brought out the evil practice of witch-naming, a problem prevalent in Assam as well.

Merely a Whore, November is the Month of Migration, and Getting Even, brings out another social evil the Adivasi community is facing, rampant trafficking of young girls into prostitution. The use of local dialects in Desire, divination, death, and use of crafty bollywood references in other stories got the stories the homerun.

They Eat Meat, brings out the cultural snobbery associated with the practice of eating vegetarian food in India out of the closet. It is used to oppress and discriminate people from different communities, the ending of the story was most satiating of all the stories.

The Adivasi Will Not Dance, reminded of the troupes I have met in Shantiniketan. Always smiling and dancing, never had I wondered before why in name of rural Bengali culture we have exoticized the Shanthali music and their folklore.

The blurb graces three summaries in it, no one wants to know the climaxes when they read the back cover!

Everybody should read this book for the sheer lucidity of language. And we all should learn about Indian history and it's a great many tales of oppression done to indigenous people in lieu of promises of progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momas'Day

As the month of May creepily entered my calendar,, I realized something was special... Well the Mothers Day entered my to-do-list...  I thought I was the only dearest daughter in the world who cared for her mother... But again my illusion was broken, by good major mates... Both of my major mates were also anxious about this one day...  First we got confused when the actual day was, some one said 1st may, other  8th may... But after all whats my dear Google for?? We found the date It was 13th May,, the second Sunday of may... So sitting in our Philosophy Exam hall, we three started discussing what to gift our dearest mothers,,, but to our surprise it was not only we three but many others who wanted to gift their mom,,. Hence the discussion broke out, one mate said she had already gifted her mother a Saree worth three thousand bucks... Now we all got dumbstruck by the selfless act and realized how shameless we were only gifting our mom's worth hundred or two hundred  bucks

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam Quote: If this were a relationship between a male and a female, wouldn't it be safe to assume that we were 100% attracted to each other? But because I'm a male and just an underclassman, Eungi Hyung would never consider anything like that, would he? Fools is a Korean Webtoon written by Yeongha and adorably illustrated by Bagdam. A weepy and heartbroken teen Choi Jeongwoo meets Kwon Enugi one night, where the latter ends up comforting and advising the teen.  A few years later, Jeongwoo is a freshman in the university where Enugi has returned for his final year after completing his military service. Enugi comes off as a standoffish young man while Jeongwoo the pretty boy is always smiling and super friendly.  After hearing Jeongwoo cry on his phone to his boyfriend during the welcoming party, Enugi can't stop but worry about him from then on. By the twist of fate they end up having breakfast tog

Make a wish lady......

dedicated to a lady, who is Born today (legally)  to  Dictate....me .... or as I call her ( Impulsive Young Lady) Today is 31st December  my elder sister's birthday,  A lady who never knows anyone above and superior to her.  She can go to any extent to protect me, example technically do poaching in my Facebook, reading  my messages, reading my personal diary and scolding me. Who is against every new best friend I have.. She can never be my friend, as she is 7years elder than me..... The glass of between the ruled and ruler is never to break...  A lady who knows everything hence putting the word Great before her name. She presents the breed born in the late 80's... Unapologetic, Dominating, Free-willed. But this blog of mine came to existence only for her, because my dumb head would fail to create even a email id alone..... Well my sister is unique creature, rather a strange creation of  God, born on a strange day, hence her birth meant a cycle. A cycle