Skip to main content

Manga Review: Gintama by Hideaki Sorachi

Manga Review: Gintama by Hideaki Sorachi



Quote: “If you’ve got time to fantasize about a beautiful ending, why not live beautifully until the end?”- Sakata Gintoki.


I am a picky reader of super popular manga(s). But Gintama was my rebound manga, after disastrous ending of Bleach. I needed something funny.
And girl did I have fun? After One Piece, it's Gintama that has made me laugh so much that I got a tummy ache and made me weep because of sad moments.
The story is set in Edo invaded by Aliens, about a dead-fish-eye samurai, Sakata Gintoki, a protagonist who is not a teen but an aimless pachinko addict twenty-something man, running an odd jobs business with his two apprentices Shinpachi and Kagura, is one of the greatest manga ever created.
Initially when I began reading,the one-shot narrative style kept me invested, but I never realised when Baka Sorachi shifted to short arcs to full-blown major action arcs that kept me awake for months! It has everything; history, comedy, tragedy, tragicomedy, science-fiction, parody, action, all knit together so well.
From day to day affairs of Kabuki-Cho, we slid into the plot of space pirates, revolutionaries, drug rackets, to assassination plan of the Shogun, and plays on true Bakufu history parodying historical figures and events mercilessly.
The blurb of the manga claims it has no storyline or purpose, but through crass poop-penis jokes to literally trolling popular manga and their tropes, to recurring gags, the story evolved! And when we reached the Finale Arc everything connected.
It has one of the best drawn and written female characters, a violent ravenous brat for a leading girl, practically being raised by an irresponsible mad dog who is helped by cautious fanboi.
Each woman that came into the story were not sexualised for the sake of fanservice, they were real woman with their own flaws and issues, from maimed prostitute to mohawk wearing mechanic girl to cute Yakuza girl to widowed ramen shop owner, to a robot learning her feelings, to old scary hag who ran Kabuki-Cho, each woman has a piece to offer often more than the men!
And reading Gintama was like I was interacting with a fellow Geek who had read extensively and followed every popular trend that was happening and knew what to mock about it! From Final Fantasy to complaining about Bleach's cancellation to the Dragon BallZ hangover of an entire generation he trolled them all! From Star Wars to Barack Obama look-alike he didn't even leave western cultural trends or tropes that he could lay his hands on.
Sorachi's merciless parodies didn't even spare himself, he drew himself as Gorilla used the criticisms his readers had sent and made a chapter on it. His jealousy as mangaka showed up every now and then when he praised fellow mangaka and created mock names like Zuffy from One Park, or called Bleach Peroxide and of course, his iconic Death Note was called Death Nut or made Gintoki steal Kakashi's and Sebastian's hairstyle.
This manga was a geek fest, written by a man who understands life and adventure at its truest self: you live one heartbeat at a time. My favourite part in the series would be the silent panels in which a happy Kagura venture out into the rain with her new yellow umbrella, a gift from Gintoki, and Gin being a daddytoki who doesn't interfere but remains ever protective of her.


Gintama was meant to be a fling but it turned into a long-lasting friendship. And I respect Sorachi for never compromising with his bushido to deliver the ending we all loved and he deserved, despite Jump cancelling him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momas'Day

As the month of May creepily entered my calendar,, I realized something was special... Well the Mothers Day entered my to-do-list...  I thought I was the only dearest daughter in the world who cared for her mother... But again my illusion was broken, by good major mates... Both of my major mates were also anxious about this one day...  First we got confused when the actual day was, some one said 1st may, other  8th may... But after all whats my dear Google for?? We found the date It was 13th May,, the second Sunday of may... So sitting in our Philosophy Exam hall, we three started discussing what to gift our dearest mothers,,, but to our surprise it was not only we three but many others who wanted to gift their mom,,. Hence the discussion broke out, one mate said she had already gifted her mother a Saree worth three thousand bucks... Now we all got dumbstruck by the selfless act and realized how shameless we were only gifting our mom's worth hundred or two hundred  bucks

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam Quote: If this were a relationship between a male and a female, wouldn't it be safe to assume that we were 100% attracted to each other? But because I'm a male and just an underclassman, Eungi Hyung would never consider anything like that, would he? Fools is a Korean Webtoon written by Yeongha and adorably illustrated by Bagdam. A weepy and heartbroken teen Choi Jeongwoo meets Kwon Enugi one night, where the latter ends up comforting and advising the teen.  A few years later, Jeongwoo is a freshman in the university where Enugi has returned for his final year after completing his military service. Enugi comes off as a standoffish young man while Jeongwoo the pretty boy is always smiling and super friendly.  After hearing Jeongwoo cry on his phone to his boyfriend during the welcoming party, Enugi can't stop but worry about him from then on. By the twist of fate they end up having breakfast tog

Make a wish lady......

dedicated to a lady, who is Born today (legally)  to  Dictate....me .... or as I call her ( Impulsive Young Lady) Today is 31st December  my elder sister's birthday,  A lady who never knows anyone above and superior to her.  She can go to any extent to protect me, example technically do poaching in my Facebook, reading  my messages, reading my personal diary and scolding me. Who is against every new best friend I have.. She can never be my friend, as she is 7years elder than me..... The glass of between the ruled and ruler is never to break...  A lady who knows everything hence putting the word Great before her name. She presents the breed born in the late 80's... Unapologetic, Dominating, Free-willed. But this blog of mine came to existence only for her, because my dumb head would fail to create even a email id alone..... Well my sister is unique creature, rather a strange creation of  God, born on a strange day, hence her birth meant a cycle. A cycle