Skip to main content

Book Review: Rashomon and Other Stories by Akutagawa Ryūnosuke and translated by Takashi Kojima

Book Review: Rashomon and Other Stories by
Akutagawa Ryūnosuke and translated by Takashi Kojima



Quote: Flocks of crows flew in from somewhere. During the daytime, these cawing birds circled round the ridgepole of the gate. When the sky overhead turned red in the afterlight of the departed sun, they looked like so many grains of sesame flung across the gate.



Ryūnosuke Akutagawa the father of Japanese short stories, has been on my to-be-read-list for years. This is an old translation, which has distilled down the stories to their literal translation instead of the 'transliteration' that present-day readers look for.

How to make murder mystery frustratingly interesting? Throw in unreliable narrators and witnesses and watch it unfold, is how I found In a Grove. Though day by day I am getting critical about the use of rape in the story as a plot device, I am glad the author didn't use rapist-robber's confession to describe his heinous crime.

The famous Rashomon that has been translated over a hundred times and adapted by famous Kurosawa, remains a compelling story no matter how distilled it gets. The thin line between violence, power and desperation always floats this story.

Yam Gruel, was a funny story with a pinch of fantasy. But I don't think I got the entirety of the joke cracked by Akutagawa through this micro-retelling of a myth.

The Martyr, definitely was the most tragic and ironical story of all. The story of an orphan Lorenzo who lived by the words of Jesus and suffered like him. I didn't see the sad twist coming in the end, despite me reading the same twists in manga and light novels over and over again!

Kesa and Morito, was interesting, the power dynamics between ex-lovers who are having extramarital affair was gripping. How far can lust last? What sustains love? Surprisingly hate and a honour bound promise to commit murder does.

The Dragon, was hilarious, I had read the origin myth of the story before, but it was interesting retelling and I have seen its various adaptation on screen and other stories. But I still love stories because nothing has ever echoed the horrors of fake news then a story about a joke that got wild.

Overall it was a decent introduction to Akutagawa's narrative style which is definitely starkly different from Soseki's and far more absorbing and critical in terms of observations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam Quote: If this were a relationship between a male and a female, wouldn't it be safe to assume that we were 100% attracted to each other? But because I'm a male and just an underclassman, Eungi Hyung would never consider anything like that, would he? Fools is a Korean Webtoon written by Yeongha and adorably illustrated by Bagdam. A weepy and heartbroken teen Choi Jeongwoo meets Kwon Enugi one night, where the latter ends up comforting and advising the teen.  A few years later, Jeongwoo is a freshman in the university where Enugi has returned for his final year after completing his military service. Enugi comes off as a standoffish young man while Jeongwoo the pretty boy is always smiling and super friendly.  After hearing Jeongwoo cry on his phone to his boyfriend during the welcoming party, Enugi can't stop but worry about him from then on. By the twist of fate they end up having breakfast tog...

Book Review: When The River Sleeps by Easterine Kire.

Book Review: When The River Sleeps by Easterine Kire. Quote: Perhaps the answer lay not in striving but in being. In simply accepting that the loneliness would never be eliminated fully, but that one could deal with it by learning to treat it like a companion and no longer an adversary. Ville a hunter wakes up from a dream, ventures out to search for the heart-stone; that holds the power of the river that's asleep. And this stone is guarded by wailing-angry-widow-spirits. Many attempts have been made at magical realism in Indian English writing, and I didn't like them. My personal opinion is that magical realism needs a deep connection with nature, maybe never explicitly explored in the text, but the traces of that connection always shows in the words written. And I have always argued that North East India is the most fertile ground to plant the seeds of magical realism in. Easterine Kire, pens our deep connection with nature for the national readership to gawk...

Momas'Day

As the month of May creepily entered my calendar,, I realized something was special... Well the Mothers Day entered my to-do-list...  I thought I was the only dearest daughter in the world who cared for her mother... But again my illusion was broken, by good major mates... Both of my major mates were also anxious about this one day...  First we got confused when the actual day was, some one said 1st may, other  8th may... But after all whats my dear Google for?? We found the date It was 13th May,, the second Sunday of may... So sitting in our Philosophy Exam hall, we three started discussing what to gift our dearest mothers,,, but to our surprise it was not only we three but many others who wanted to gift their mom,,. Hence the discussion broke out, one mate said she had already gifted her mother a Saree worth three thousand bucks... Now we all got dumbstruck by the selfless act and realized how shameless we were only gifting o...