Skip to main content

Light Novel Review: Your Name by Makoto Shinkai


Light Novel Review: Your Name by Makoto Shinkai



Quote: 'My name is Mitshua!'
The girl shouts, undoing the cord she'd used to tie back her hair and holding it out to me. Without thinking, I reach for it. It's a vivid orange, like a thin ray of evening sun in the dim train. I shove my way into the crowd and grab that colour tight.






My third birthday gift was the second read yesterday. Came as a huge surprise and I was 100 pages done by end of lunch break! Rest of the evening I had to take it slow, I savoured the last 75 pages like lemons.

Your Name, a story by one of my favourite Japanese animator and storyteller Makoto Shinkai. I was surprised twice yesterday to find that he had written the book and made the cinema simultaneously! There was a light novella instead of manga inside this lovely hardback.

Shinkai, to be honest, is obsessed with loneliness and with adolescent love. Taki and Mitshua are geographically miles apart and equally lonely, surviving the busy Tokyo-Life, another tolerating passive country life. One day due to reasons unexplained, these two teens find themselves in each other bodies. But they keep forgetting the time spent in each others' bodies and use various means to communicate.

Tragedy looms on this story since I have watched the cinema it was not the ending I was intrigued for but the play of language. Cinema is from point of view of the observer, but the book was told from both Mitshua and Taki's point of view.

The book was a wonderful example of how we can challenge the limits of written language and typesetting. Using different fonts to channel emotions and characteristics of characters, finally, somebody used ellipses properly to represent lack of words and not to make the narrative look smart, the use of spacing to build-up the calm before the appearance of the comet tail was so visual.

The use of folklore elements that tell us the importance of preservation despite losing one's true history is what I feel is also the philosophy of Japanese society. Where you can advance without chanting nationalism.

Another surprise was the essay by Genki Kawamura at the end! An author I adore and had no idea that he is often partner-producer on Shinkai's projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam

Webcomic Review: Fools by Yeongha and Bagdam Quote: If this were a relationship between a male and a female, wouldn't it be safe to assume that we were 100% attracted to each other? But because I'm a male and just an underclassman, Eungi Hyung would never consider anything like that, would he? Fools is a Korean Webtoon written by Yeongha and adorably illustrated by Bagdam. A weepy and heartbroken teen Choi Jeongwoo meets Kwon Enugi one night, where the latter ends up comforting and advising the teen.  A few years later, Jeongwoo is a freshman in the university where Enugi has returned for his final year after completing his military service. Enugi comes off as a standoffish young man while Jeongwoo the pretty boy is always smiling and super friendly.  After hearing Jeongwoo cry on his phone to his boyfriend during the welcoming party, Enugi can't stop but worry about him from then on. By the twist of fate they end up having breakfast tog...

Book Review: When The River Sleeps by Easterine Kire.

Book Review: When The River Sleeps by Easterine Kire. Quote: Perhaps the answer lay not in striving but in being. In simply accepting that the loneliness would never be eliminated fully, but that one could deal with it by learning to treat it like a companion and no longer an adversary. Ville a hunter wakes up from a dream, ventures out to search for the heart-stone; that holds the power of the river that's asleep. And this stone is guarded by wailing-angry-widow-spirits. Many attempts have been made at magical realism in Indian English writing, and I didn't like them. My personal opinion is that magical realism needs a deep connection with nature, maybe never explicitly explored in the text, but the traces of that connection always shows in the words written. And I have always argued that North East India is the most fertile ground to plant the seeds of magical realism in. Easterine Kire, pens our deep connection with nature for the national readership to gawk...

Momas'Day

As the month of May creepily entered my calendar,, I realized something was special... Well the Mothers Day entered my to-do-list...  I thought I was the only dearest daughter in the world who cared for her mother... But again my illusion was broken, by good major mates... Both of my major mates were also anxious about this one day...  First we got confused when the actual day was, some one said 1st may, other  8th may... But after all whats my dear Google for?? We found the date It was 13th May,, the second Sunday of may... So sitting in our Philosophy Exam hall, we three started discussing what to gift our dearest mothers,,, but to our surprise it was not only we three but many others who wanted to gift their mom,,. Hence the discussion broke out, one mate said she had already gifted her mother a Saree worth three thousand bucks... Now we all got dumbstruck by the selfless act and realized how shameless we were only gifting o...